Thursday, May 29, 2008

Life Is Good

What a magical experience we had at the lifeisgood conference!
This was an event that was tailor made for the family, all of us enjoyed it and can't wait for the next one.
The conference was held at the Inn at the Quay in Vancouver, WA. It sits on the edge of the Columbia river a few yards west of the Interstate bridge. There is a dock a few more yards west and by some happy coincidence 2 of the Tall Ships from Gig Harbor were docked there for the entire conference.
The conference held group discussions, had guest speakers and rooms for games, crafts, music, and toys that seemed to always have somebody in them.
The only speaker that I saw was Scott Noelle who performed an eye opening version of Misty and reinforced the theme of unschooling in his talk. He has such a wonderful approach to parenting and parent coaching that has become a big influence in my life. Here is a link to a small nugget of the type of parenting that we all could learn from. Anyway this was one of the highlights of the conference for me.
Continued...
Having spent time in the game room at the lifeisgood conference really gave me a chance to hang out with a lot of children and it was so easy to get along with them. The children I met were actually considerate of others and that is such a rare experience to have in this world that we live in. We have neighbor children that come over to play and the difference between the behavior is astonishing. It makes me sad to see the way that traditional parenting and schooling has affected so many children and leaves me dumbstruck at the thought of how wide-spread this is. Unschooling and peacefully parenting families are the minority and it makes me want to stand up and do something to get this message to the people that need to hear it. If there was some way to convince the mainstream to change through thoughtful movies and other types of mass media it would make my day, but I know that Rome was not built in a day so I will keep searching.
It was much needed for my family and me to attend this conference and to be around like minded people, the movement is growing and that gives me hope.
Thank You!

0 comments: