Monday, February 15, 2010


I am exploring what it means to be "green" and have found a lot more information than I had learned from Kermit the Frog. He is right though it's not easy being green...

Green is so many things and when I think about it I think of things like trees, frogs, earth, inexperience, the way people get around the gills sometimes, some kids I grew up with, a song about a tambourine, conservationism, witchcraft and a light that means "GO!!!"
When I was younger there was no place better than a field or a grove of trees to play in. We had what looked like a neighborhood landfill in our back yard from the 50s (this was the 70s) and found several antique glass bottles when we would dig holes in the ground, some 10 feet deep. There were beds of flowers and soft grass and about half an acre of wheat that was fun to make trails through. After that house we moved out into the country to a ranch called Hi Valley. It was in the middle of acres of apple, cherry and peach trees. There was a mile long grove of oaks that looked like a train when we would drive over the hill into the top of a 15 mile valley with our house at the head of the train. There was an alder or poplar tree and a willow in the front, I made a tree fort with a bridge in these two trees. There was a fruit box in the walnut tree in the back yard that I would climb up into and just sit there because it was a safe place for me to be. I loved climbing trees.
So my love for trees is my way of being "green" for now. I will have to think of more ways later...

0 comments: